Scott’s late wife- Donna Evans, age 38.

Hello friends and welcome back to our blog, “Tale of two Farms”. Kristina made the decision that last Sunday’s blog post was going to be the last for a while…at least until she could share some exciting news we have.  She’ll be back sooner rather than later because things are getting ready to happen and they’re going to happen very quickly.

  I wanted the opportunity to give my point of view about the “tale of two farms”.  If you’ve read her previous blogs, you pretty much know our story. Three years ago this April 20th, my parents took me to Adams Breezy Hill for Easter brunch. It was my first trip there but definitely not my last.  That day I left there, I couldn’t stop thinking about Kristina Adams. Twenty nine years before, Kristina and I would graduate high school in this sleepy little town. I  think there were 120 kids in our graduating class. To this day, I still can’t answer the question “why”. Why after all these years did two people come back together after only sharing a couple things in common. We knew who each other were and we graduated together.  That’s it!! 

 For the last 29 years prior I had lived in Louisville, then Nashville and then Louisville again. I’d married an amazingly loving women, had 2 kids and helped own, manage and work for a small snack food distributorship in Louisville. My wife Donna had the biggest heart of any person I’d ever known and she loved her children like no other.  She was the best friend of my eldest son, Colin. A quirky/nerdy kid that never fit the mold of his father, an athletic, sportsaholic.  Colin beat to a different drum, so to speak. Growing up, we didn’t always see eye to eye. 

Colin’s best friend & mother.

Lucas, our other son, was 4. He was a “what the hell did you say” kind of baby.  Not an “oops baby” but a “what the hell did you say”!! 

Donna & Lucas- Halloween of 2011 Our unexpected surprise!

I was 42. Donna was 40 and Colin was 13. We were done having kids, or so we thought.  But in November of 2012, Donna passed. I’ll never forget the day. It was a gloomy Wednesday. I called the house to make sure she was up because she had a commitment that day. She answered the phone and incoherently said “I’m just having a tough time getting going”. About 30 minutes later, it dawned on me “I should probably call back and make sure she didn’t fall back to sleep”.  After repeated calls with no answer, I decided I should probably head home to check and make sure things were okay.  I was about 30 minutes from the house and I continued to call the entire way home when suddenly, Lucas (barely 4 years old at the time) answered the phone. “Lucas!! Where’s mom?” His soft little voice that had never answered the phone before said “she won’t wake up”. Devastated, I replied ” I’m on my way home. I’ll be there as quick as I can”.  I hung up the phone and immediately called 911.  I explained to the dispatcher the situation and continued a drive home that felt like forever.  I arrived at our house to find  Louisville Police cars in front of my house. I ran inside. I found my wife lying on the bed. I screamed at the officers “where is the ambulance?” They assured me they were on their way.  Several minutes later they were there, but there was nothing they could do. Officially, Donna died of pneumonia. The years of poor health she had experienced had finally caught up with her and her body could take no more.  The only solace I could take from here death was knowing she would suffer no more. Yet, I was devastated. Twenty three years married to the same person and suddenly she was gone. I was a single father of a 17 and 4 year old.

Colin, Lucas & I- summer of 2012.

My work life was draining me dry both physically and mentally and all of a sudden I’d lost my rock.  The one person I spent the other half of my life with. We weren’t “social” people. When we went out, we did so by ourselves or with Donna’s family. We had few if any close friends outside her immediate family. Many would say we were recluse. What was I going to do?  I was determined I had no choice but to be strong for my boys. Colin was a senior in high school and would be going off to college the next fall.

Colin’s senior prom (2013)

That would leave 4 year old Lucas and I.  I’d often mentioned to Donna that I might like to move back to Princeton. She’d had nothing to do with the idea but had warmed to it (somewhat) in recent months before her passing.  The experts say to never make any major decisions in your life until a year has passed when you lose your spouse. I’d have none of that. I knew very quickly after her passing that I needed to be in Princeton, with my family. So I made the decision to move. I gave myself until the next August after Colin would be headed to college.  I told my partners 3 months prior when my last day would be. I even gave myself a few weeks to do nothing and get prepared for the move.  In August of 2013 I moved back to Princeton. My father owned a small rental property next to the post office and the renter was about to move out. It was perfect. I spent 3 months not working. I spent time with my mother and father and nieces and nephews. I looked for what I wanted to do with the next chapter of my life. Primarily, I just plodded along. I managed to land a job as an assistant manager at a local tire shop. It was a job. I searched for something to fill the hole in my life…desperately. People told me I was trying too hard and I was. 


Scott & Kristina Evans, married October of 2014. Business partners, life partners, life unexpected.

Then one day, for the first time, I walked in to the Breezy.  My life’s not been the same since.

Scott Evans